Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Please Mr Postman, look and see...

I like letters. I particularly like receiving them but I also like writing them.

When I lived in the UK for nearly four years I used to write 10 pages home every week, as my mother did for over 37 years after moving from Newcastle to Hobart. It's actually easier to write every week than to write once every year when it seems necessary to only write about the important stuff. In a weekly letter, it's just like continuing a conversation and it's ok to include trivia.

Sadly, now I only seem to write proper letters when someone dies and email doesn't seem appropriate.
I do write frequent letters to the paper, but I think that comes under the category of Grumpy Old Woman Having a Rant.

Given how much I enjoy receiving letters, a couple of years ago I made a resolution to write more. I bought nice stationary (for my printer) and tracked down a font that looked like handwriting (only better and easier to read).

I think I've written two letters in the two years since.

But today I've been re-inspired by reading Love your letter box, or see it die. I can't be without my letterbox - where would my catalogues go? I must do my bit to keep Australia Post in business.

Also, thx to Leah Dieterich who makes it her business to write a thank you note every day.
I like this one:

And my mother's friend Mary who writes such beautiful letters and helped raise my mother's spirits when she was in hospital three years ago after a serious accident.

Finally, I have all those postage stamps in my wallet which I need to use before the price of stamps goes up in just a few weeks.

So look out for a real old-fashioned letter coming to a letter box near you.

3 comments:

  1. When my daughter was in Finland for a year I wrote to her every Sunday mornning, in a coffee shop , after going to the gym. It was a lovely routine, and the letters were so much more thoughtful than the emails which replaced them towards the end of that year as the technology advanced ( it was 1997!). but I think you have to hand write them, not type, as the slower pace allows different thought processes altogether..Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely story Felicity and makes it a special time rather than a chore.
    It's an interesting point about the difference between writing and typing, unfortunately my handwriting is now so messy and full of mistakes - my brain goes faster than my pen. I can just about keep up when I type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughtful piece Beth. Alas I'm addicted to email now but a long letter is sill a chore. Have always loved the thrill of the letterbox.
    Have a wonderful friend in Zurich who writes the best letters you could imagine. I owe her one now. Maybe I should follow Felicity's idea and go to a cafe. Did try at hairdresser but love their trashy magazines.

    ReplyDelete