Sunday, March 28, 2010

And here is the news...

I've been a bit disturbed by the news lately, in particular, the lack of actual news in the newspaper, and the tendency of commercial newsreaders to present the news like a bedtime story with all the appropriate voices for sad, happy, scary.

Only a week ago we had a State Election with a strong likelihood of a change of government. Newsworthy indeed. But within 6 days, the headlines of the local newspaper had reverted to the more usual "scoop" of an armful of playful puppies. The next day it was a cuddly alpaca. Today it was what the political leaders' wives wore on election night.

I note this week that the UK Times (now there's a proper paper) is planning to charge for its online news coverage. Of course I already pay for the local paper and wade through the drivel to sometimes find some half-decent coverage round about page 5. Maybe I could pay per article and make a saving.

At least when I read a newspaper I get to choose my own emotions. The current weekend newsreader on the commercial station likes to do that for me, in case I'm not sure how I should react to a story. I was brought up in a culture where newsreading was a profession with strict guidelines including delivery, pronunciation and presentation. Oh and decent journalists writing the content.

Even if the presenter was reading about an event that had deep personal significance the tone should still be neutral.

Last night I heard the newsreader say "In what can only be described as heart-breaking.." with a slight catch in her voice. What could this be? A terrible tragedy befalling a child? The destruction of a work of art that had taken hundreds of hours to create?

No, it was a bunch of water skiers failing to make a world record. Well boo hoo. And they succeeded today so it was hardly a life or death matter.

So here's my plea to newspaper editors: Can I have some news with my newspaper, please?

2 comments:

  1. Ah, yes... I remember 'real journalists'. Fond memories. Come to think of it, I found out more about the recent USA Health Bill from my niece's Facebook feed than I did from our local newspaper... which would be one of the reasons we get two newspapers delivered every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Beth, the calibre of newspapers these days. Are there any spelling mistakes? That is when it is superly (real word) depressing!! That's why I stopped reading New Weekly. Quality.

    ReplyDelete