Sunday, April 11, 2010

I am woman, hear me roar, if that's convenient

I'd heard a rumour that there's a generation of women out there who think that feminism is a dirty word, and that it was all very well in its time, but that time is over and done with.

I'd never met any of these women until today when I found myself involved in an online "robust discussion" after I'd expressed surprise at a young man referring to his wife as "the wifey". Wifey I find old-fashioned and irritating, but THE wifey I find dehumanising.

Apparently this expression is now viewed as "cute and ironic".
How views have changed in the space of one generation. Yes, I'm old enough to be these girls' mother, even though my sons are only 10 and 14 (I was a late starter).

I missed by just a few years being part of the generation of women working for the public service who immediately went from Permanent to Temporary when they married and then had to resign as soon as they became pregnant, but I am old enough to have experienced overt and direct discrimination.

When I first started teaching, women only had to contribute 2.5% of their salary to superannuation. For men, it was a compulsory 5%. At 21, retirement seemed a long way off, so I opted for more take-home pay.
Now, those men who started at the same time as me are planning their retirements soon with a very healthy retirement benefit. Not so the women of the same generation, particularly since they probably had broken service to produce and raise the offspring.
I started saving for retirement seriously at age 31 which means I've still got a few more years to work.

Another event happened when I was working in the UK in the late 80s. I was told I could not wear trousers to work. Didn't matter if I had to routinely crawl under desks to plug in computer outlets, Women Did Not Wear Trousers. If I hadn't been on 3 months probation at the time I wouldn't have taken that one lying down.

And there are countless other examples of much more subtle discrimination. It still goes on, and anyone who says otherwise just hasn't been around the traps long enough.
I've worked for some fabulous bosses where everyone was equal, and I've worked for one or two where this was not the case.

My sister who is a senior IT manager in a company in Sydney comments that in order to stay up to date with all the company gossip routinely exchanged between other managers, she would have to play golf or hang out at cigar bars. Very much a boys' club.

So the glass ceiling may come as a surprise to the new generation who still believe in their invincibility.
Or maybe they will just refuse to accept that such a thing is possible and thus shatter it once and for all.
If that is to happen, it will the require the new generation of men to also refuse to accept any form of discrimination.

And that includes language.

3 comments:

  1. You're in male dominated professions though. I'm only a few yrs younger but my occupation is heavily female dominated so I haven't had those sort of experiences at all. Senior management in libraries is traditionally male but I've worked for more lady uni librarians than I have men. I have worked for/with several childless women who have been less than sympathetic to part-time working mums though! The only psychopath I've worked with was male but he was awful to everyone without discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first started teaching the Boss said we had to wear stockings/ pantihose...in summer in Launceston. I couldn't believe it. Think someone lobbied the infant 'mistress' who set him straight! Being married when I joined the Ed Dept I didn't have to join super at all...It was only in the 90s that they ran the test case for women with broken service...Thanks for jolting my memory on some of these issues Beth. Discrimination is still alive and kicking much to our dismay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No real discrimination in my (female dominated) profession either. However, I have very little super due to casual and part time work where little or no super was paid. Also don't forget the era in which you were paid back your super when you left the job. Another reason for the poor super nest egg :(

    ReplyDelete