Saturday, April 10, 2010

Vengeful Hedgehogs and other sharp pointy things

Today I was queuing to get onto the highway and for a split second my eyes misread the bumper sticker on the ute in front as Vengeful Hedgehogs.

I don't even remember what it did say because I immediately wanted to start a rock band and call it Vengeful Hedgehogs.

But I'm too old to do that, so then I thought I'd like to write a story and call it Vengeful Hedgehogs. Couldn't quite figure out a plot line.
But then my friend Helen suggested I should write a story about a band called Vengeful Hedgehogs.
I like the sound of that.

On the subject of sharp, pointy things, today I did the usual seasonal hunt for boys' pyjamas and once again struggled to find any without skull and crossbones. Is it just me, or is this a completely inappropriate design to have on every single t-shirt, pyjama top and pair of jocks for boys aged 8-14? Out of cartoon characters and cute bears and wham! - straight into the symbol for death.

Another alternative were those featuring wrestlers. Slightly less offensive were all the AFL football colours and logos. My boys don't particularly follow AFL having an English father and a love of soccer, so that's not going to wash either.

I'm wondering too if it's a class thing. I usually buy pyjamas in the cheap stores like KMart and Big W. I wonder if I was prepared to pay more whether there would be a wider choice of design, or just a more expensive skull and crossbone?

So what sort of design would I like to see?

Actually I still like the cuddly bears but the 14-year-old won't come at that.

I know - how about something PLAIN??? I'd pay good money for decent pyjamas in a nice colour with NO stupid design on them.

How's that for a novel idea?

6 comments:

  1. It's so much easier having a daughter - who's currently wearing pyjamas emblazoned with either 'Rock star', Betty Boop, or Little Miss Sunshine. All of which are very appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about pyjamas with vengeful hedgehogs plastered all over them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, I see you're as taken with the vengeful hedgehogs as I am! Perhaps I should commission you to write their first hit single!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felt the same shopping at Myer Xmas before last for t- shirt to send to 14 y.o. Shemsu in Ethiopia...skulls or skulls... Finally found an 'abstract pattern'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Mary, we have quite a few abstract patterned T-Shirts in the household!
    Skulls, wrestlers, skateboarders, boom boxes - if you met my son you'd know none of that is really him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth: My problem is that I can't quite decide what genre of band. Possibly folk metal.

    ReplyDelete