Sunday, April 25, 2010

Red things


Every year I particularly enjoy the grape vine outside the kitchen window as it changes through the seasons. It will be spectacularly red for a short time before shedding all its leaves for winter. The vine is rumoured to be nearly as old as our house which was built in 1891. I like the way it intertwines with my tomato bush which is still covered with green tomatoes in April.



Last week my sister came back from a holiday in Japan and brought me this beautiful red lacquer tray. Will have to find something very special to put in it.




I used to have a lot of exciting shoes. People meeting me in the street often looked first at my feet. Since giving away all my high heels I've struggled to maintain my standards.
I found these this week for $45. I'd just been to visit my sister's sister-in-law who was in the neurosurgery ward after falling off her horse. Whilst there I talked to the Lord Mayor who had fallen off his motorcycle. He told me someone I'd worked with was also on the ward. In the last week she'd had surgery, lost the ability to read and been given 18 months to live. I spoke to her briefly. What do you say? She said at least it was 18 months rather than one day. A chance to do all those things you've always wanted to do, I suggested (but couldn't because you were being sensible, or waiting until it was convenient).
I'll think of her every time I wear these shoes.

2 comments:

  1. Poignant piece Beth which took me by surprise - as does life. I'm a shoe person and bought the softest, most looked at shoes in Venice in '82. Wish I'd kept them : white with red bow. Have Altissimo climbing red rose which reminds me of a schoolfriend who died on the eve of my 50th from an aneurism . It was her favourite rose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful red things Beth! I'm really sorry about your poorly friends.

    ReplyDelete